Under the golden sun of Beirut, men stand on rooftops and shoot oranges at the sky. They do this to scare their pigeons, make them fly further, and make them stronger. They play the game Kash Hamam, where you have to lure the other players’ pigeons into your own pigeon loft. If you succeed, there’s Kash. And then you cut the feathers off the pigeon. Or feed it to the cats.
Lea Najjar’s cinematic debut is a vital portrait of her hometown Beirut. A city hit by a corrupt elite, popular protests and one of the biggest explosions of the 21st century. But also a city where its hard-pressed citizens come together and form communities despite the chaos. On the flat rooftops high above the labyrinthine streets, we meet three men who have bonded over their love of pigeons – and a girl who dreams of entering the masculine game, Kash Hamam. A vivid, impressionistic snapshot from an already eminent director.
|Original title||Kash Kash – Without Feathers We Can’t Live|
|Production||FFL Film- und Fernseh-Labor Ludwigsburg GmbH & Co. KG|
|Country||Germany, Lebanon, Qatar|
|Genre||Economy, Geopolitics, Human Interest, Politics, Society|
- "NEXT:WAVE Award", CPH:DOX, Denmark (2022)
- Dok.fest Munich, Germany (2022)
- "Most Original Documentary", Millennium Festival Brussels, Belgium (2022)
- Ethnocineca - Ethnographic And Documentary Filmfest (Opening Film) Austria (2022)
- Karlsruher Dokumentarfestival dokKa, Germany (2022)
- Durban International Film Festival, South Africa (2022)
Quotes & Other
- Jury Statement CHP:DOX, NEXT:WAVE Award:
“From a tiny anecdote this film expands its cinematic universe and unveils the disillusionment of an entire city – an entire country. From the opening scene’s claustrophobic setting, to the final wide eye of an artificial pigeon, witnessing the place it took flight from. We, the jury, wish to give this year’s Next:Wave Award to a piece of delicate yet vigorous cinema: ‘Kash Kash – Without Feathers We Can’t Live’”
- Eligible for German Films Distribution Support